The town of Hungry Horse was indeed named after two draft horses used for logging the area when they wandered off during the severe winter of 1900. The horses, Tex and Jerry, were found a month later, all scraggly and hungry but very much alive. As visitors today drive through Hungry Horse on their way to and from Glacier National Park, there are statuesque reminders of the hungry horses.
Today the town has a population of 900 and is a small community that is likely to be overlooked as visitors make their way onward to Glacier National Park, which lies just 10 miles to the east. The town is worth a stop, either for a traveler's rest break or a place to spend the night prior to a full day in the park. Worth checking out are the several roadside stands offering various concoctions made from native huckleberries. The best are the huckleberry milk shakes that leave you wanting more. A worthy side trip is a visit to the Hungry Horse Dam. The town's post office was established in 1948, when the federal government began planning to dam the South Fork of the Flathead River. The dam was completed in 1952.